1. a knot with two loops and loose ends; used to tie shoelaces
Similar word(s): bowknot
Definition categories: man–made, knot
2. a slightly curved piece of resilient wood with taut horsehair strands; used in playing certain stringed instruments
Definition categories: man–made, stick
3. front part of a vessel or aircraft
- he pointed the bow of the boat toward the finish line
Definition categories: man–made, front
4. a weapon for shooting arrows, composed of a curved piece of resilient wood with a taut cord to propel the arrow
5. something curved in shape
Similar word(s): arc
6. bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
7. an appearance by actors or performers at the end of the concert or play in order to acknowledge the applause of the audience
8. a decorative interlacing of ribbons
9. a stroke with a curved piece of wood with taut horsehair strands that is used in playing stringed instruments
Sentences with bow as a noun:
- He made a polite bow as he entered the room.
- The new product will make its bow on the world market this summer.
1. bend one's knee or body, or lower one's head
- She bowed her head in shame
2. yield to another's wish or opinion
- The government bowed to the military pressure
3. bend the head or the upper part of the body in a gesture of respect or greeting
- He bowed before the King
Definition categories: motion
4. bend one's back forward from the waist on down
- She bowed before the Queen
5. play on a stringed instrument with a bow
Sentences with bow as a verb:
- The musician bowed his violin expertly.
- The shelf bowed under the weight of the books.
- Cronenberg’s "Cosmopolis" bows in Cannes this week.
- That singer always bows towards her audience for some reason.
- I bow to your better judgement in the matter.