1. a former monetary unit in Great Britain
Similar word(s): shilling
Definition categories: quantity
2. a hair style for women and children; a short haircut all around
3. a long racing sled (for 2 or more people) with a steering mechanism
4. a hanging weight, especially a metal ball on a string
Definition categories: man–made, weight
5. a small float usually made of cork; attached to a fishing line
Definition categories: man–made, float
6. a short or shortened tail of certain animals
7. a short abrupt inclination (as of the head)
- he gave me a short bob of acknowledgement
Sentences with bob as a noun:
- a bob of the head
1. move up and down repeatedly
- her rucksack bobbed gently on her back
2. ride a bobsled
- The boys bobbed down the hill screaming with pleasure
Similar word(s): bobsled
3. remove or shorten the tail of an animal
4. make a curtsy; usually done only by girls and women; as a sign of respect
Similar word(s): curtsy
5. cut hair in the style of a bob
- Bernice bobs her hair these days!
Sentences with bob as a verb:
- The cork bobbed gently in the calm water.
- The ball, which we had thought lost, suddenly bobbed up out of the water.
- The flowers were bobbing in the wind.
- I bobbed my head under water and saw the goldfish.
- bob one's head (= to nod)
- I got my hair bobbed. How do you like it?