1. a type of folksong that originated among Black Americans at the beginning of the 20th century; has a melancholy sound from repeated use of blue notes
2. a state of depression
- he had a bad case of the blues
Sentences with blues as a noun:
- I've got the blues today.
- The blues have hit her hard, and she won't get out of bed.
- Your blues is just like mine.
- Your blues are just like mine.
- I've got the lonely man's blues.
- If you work here long enough, you'll have the butcher's blues just like me.
- Many great blues musicians came from the Mississippi Delta region.
- A large portion of modern popular music is influenced by the blues.
- My next number is a blues in G.
- The marched in their dress blues.
1. third-person singular simple present indicative form of blue