1. (Australian Aboriginal, optionally followed by to) Of, belonging to.
1. be owned by; be in the possession of
- This book belongs to me
2. be suitable or acceptable
- This student somehow doesn't belong
3. be in the right place or situation
- Where do these books belong?
- Let's put health care where it belongs--under the control of the government
Similar word(s): go
4. be rightly classified in a class or category
- The whales belong among the mammals
5. be a member, adherent, inhabitant, etc. (of a group, organization, or place)
- They belong to the same political party
6. be a part or adjunct
- the uniform looks like it belonged to a museum collection
- These pages don't belong
Definition categories: stative
Sentences with belong as a verb:
- Where does this document belong?
- You don’t belong here — get out.
- I don’t belong to them!
- That house belongs to me.
- Suppose belongs to ... (— written: )