1. a relation that provides the foundation for something
- he worked on an interim basis
2. the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained
- the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture
3. the most important or necessary part of something
- the basis of this drink is orange juice
Similar word(s): base
Sentences with basis as a noun:
- You should brush your teeth on a daily basis at minimum.
- The flights to Fiji leave on a weekly basis.
- Cars must be checked on a yearly basis.
- The collection of all possible unions of basis elements of a basis is said to be the topology generated by that basis.