1. an imaginary line or standard by which things are measured or compared
- the established a baseline for the budget
2. the back line bounding each end of a tennis or handball court; when serving the server must not step over this line
3. the lines a baseball player must follow while running the bases
Sentences with baseline as a noun:
- A laser level generates a convenient baseline for interior work.
- We used used the last doctor visit to provide baselines for vital statistics.
- Several characters typically have descenders below the lower baseline.
- The ref missed the call. The ball hit the baseline.
- The baseline configuration includes unsupported components.
1. (engineering, computing) To provide a baseline for measurement.
2. (tennis) To play from the baseline.