1. especially of leaves; located at the base of a plant or stem; especially arising directly from the root or rootstock or a root-like stem
- basal placentation
Similar word(s): radical
2. of or being the essential or basic part
- a basal reader
3. serving as or forming a base
Sentences with basal as an adjective:
- This is the basal idea.
- The organism needs more energy on basal maintenance.
- A basal reader is a kind of book that is used to teach reading.
- In the spring, basal leaves emerge from a stout taproot.
- Hittite is a basal Indo-European language.
- A magnolia is a basal angiosperm.
1. base, bottom, minimum
2. (anatomy) Any basal structure or part