1. providing no shelter or sustenance
- barren lands
Similar word(s): inhospitable, bare, bleak, desolate, stark
2. not bearing offspring
- a barren woman
Similar word(s): infertile, sterile, unfertile
3. completely lacking.
- writing barren of insight
Similar word(s): nonexistent, destitute, devoid, free, innocent
Sentences with barren as an adjective:
- I silently wept as my daughter's husband rejected her. What would she do now that she was no longer a maiden but also barren?
1. an uninhabited wilderness that is worthless for cultivation
- the barrens of central Africa
Similar word(s): waste, wasteland
Definition categories: location, wild, wilderness
Sentences with barren as a noun:
- The pine barrens are a site lonely enough to suit any hermit.