1. tough protective covering of the woody stems and roots of trees and other woody plants
2. a noise resembling the bark of a dog
3. a sailing ship with 3 (or more) masts
Similar word(s): barque
Definition categories: man–made
4. the sound made by a dog
1. speak in an unfriendly tone
- She barked into the dictaphone
2. cover with bark
3. remove the bark of a tree
Similar word(s): skin
4. make barking sounds
- The dogs barked at the stranger
5. tan (a skin) with bark tannins
Sentences with bark as a verb:
- The neighbour's dog is always barking.
- The seal barked as the zookeeper threw fish into its enclosure.
- The sergeant barked an order.
- to bark one’s heel
- bark the roof of a hut