1. (transport) A return trip after delivery of cargo.
- Low rates for backhaul account for the huge volume of waste paper shipped to Asia from the US.
2. (military) The shipment of material to or through an area from which the material had previously been shipped.
3. (travel, aviation, fare construction) travel to a destination via a further point, (or a higher fare point), than the destination. (higher intermediate point)
1. To transmit (data or footage) from a remote site to a central site from where it is re-transmitted.