1. the power or right to give orders or make decisions
- he has the authority to issue warrants
- deputies are given authorization to make arrests
2. (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others
- the authorities have issued a curfew
3. an expert whose views are taken as definitive
- he is an authority on corporate law
4. freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities
- she spoke with authority
5. an administrative unit of government
- Tennessee Valley Authority
Definition categories: group
6. official permission or approval
- authority for the program was renewed several times
7. an authoritative written work
- this book is the final authority on the life of Milton
Sentences with authority as a noun:
- I have the authority to penalise the staff in my department, but not the authority to sack them.
- She lost all her respect and authority after turning up drunk to the meeting.
- Respect my authority!
- the world's foremost authority on orangutans