1. a gathering of spectators or listeners at a (usually public) performance
- the audience applauded
- someone in the audience began to cough
2. the part of the general public interested in a source of information or entertainment
- every artist needs an audience
- the broadcast reached an audience of millions
3. an opportunity to state your case and be heard
- he saw that he had lost his audience
Similar word(s): hearing
4. a conference (usually with someone important)
- he requested an audience with the king
Sentences with audience as a noun:
- We joined the audience just as the lights went down.
- She managed to get an audience with the Pope.
- "Private Eye" has a small but faithful audience.
- The opera singer expanded his audience by singing songs from the shows.