1. a highly unstable radioactive element (the heaviest of the halogen series); a decay product of uranium and thorium
Similar word(s): astatine
2. 100 at equal 1 kip in Laos
Definition categories: quantity
1. In or very near a particular place.
- at that precise position; at Jim’s house
2. (indicating time) Simultaneous, during.
- at six o’clock; at closing time; at night.
3. In the direction of (often in an unfocused or uncaring manner).
- He threw the ball at me. He shouted at her.
4. Occupied in (activity).
- men at work
5. Indicates a position on a scale or in a series.
- Sell at 90. Tiger finished the round at tenth, seven strokes behind the leaders. I'm offering it—just to select customers—at cost.
6. Because of.
7. Holding a given speed or rate.
- It is growing at the rate of 3% a year. Cruising along at fifty miles per hour.
8. In a state of.
- She is at sixes and sevens with him. They are at loggerheads over how best to tackle the fiscal cliff. The city was at the mercy of the occupying forces.
9. (Ireland, stressed pronunciation) bothering, irritating, causing discomfort to