1. attack someone physically or emotionally
- Nightmares assailed him regularly
Definition categories: competition
2. launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities or start warfare with
- Serbian forces assailed Bosnian towns all week
Similar word(s): attack
3. attack in speech or writing
Sentences with assail as a verb:
- Muggers assailed them as they entered an alley.
- For the next six months or so those children will assail her in public with demands for an improper story! (from H.H. Munro's short story, "The Storyteller").