1. contrived by art rather than nature
- artificial flowers
- artificial flavoring
- an artificial diamond
Similar word(s): counterfeit, imitative, arranged, staged, bionic, bleached, colored, coloured, dyed, cardboard, unlifelike, celluloid, synthetic, conventionalised, conventionalized, stylised, stylized, dummy, ersatz, substitute, factitious, fake, false, faux, imitation, simulated, semisynthetic, near, painted, unreal, unreal
2. artificially formal
- that artificial humility that her husband hated
3. not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
Similar word(s): inorganic
Sentences with artificial as an adjective:
- The flowers were artificial, and he thought them rather tacky.
- Her manner was somewhat artificial.