1. the products of human creativity; works of art collectively
- an art exhibition
- a collection of fine art
Definition categories: man–made, creation
2. the creation of beautiful or significant things
- art does not need to be innovative to be good
- I was never any good at art
- he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully
3. a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation
- the art of conversation
- it's quite an art
Definition categories: thought
4. photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication
- the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the book
Definition categories: communication
Sentences with art as a noun:
- There is a debate as to whether graffiti is art or vandalism.
- She's mastered the art of programming.
- He's at university to study art.
- Her photographs are nice, but there's no art in them.
- Sotherby's regularly auctions art for millions.
- I'm a great supporter of the arts.
1. (archaic) second-person singular simple present form of be
- How great thou art!