1. characterized by effort to the point of exhaustion; especially physical effort
- worked their arduous way up the mining valley
- hard labor
2. taxing to the utmost; testing powers of endurance
- your willingness after these six arduous days to remain here
3. difficult to accomplish; demanding considerable mental effort and skill
- the arduous work of preparing a dictionary
Sentences with arduous as an adjective:
- The movement towards a peaceful settlement has been a long and arduous political struggle.
- Where flames the arduous Spirit of Isidore. — Cary.