1. the act of bringing something to bear; using it for a particular purpose
- he advocated the application of statistics to the problem
- a novel application of electronics to medical diagnosis
2. a verbal or written request for assistance or employment or admission to a school
- December 31 is the deadline for applications
3. the work of applying something
- the doctor prescribed a topical application of iodine
- a complete bleach requires several applications
Definition categories: act
4. a program that gives a computer instructions that provide the user with tools to accomplish a task
- he has tried several different word processing applications
5. liquid preparation having a soothing or antiseptic or medicinal action when applied to the skin
Similar word(s): lotion
6. a diligent effort
- it is a job requiring serious application
Similar word(s): diligence
7. the action of putting something into operation
- the application of maximum thrust
- massage has far-reaching medical applications
- the application of indexes to tables of data
Sentences with application as a noun:
- I make the remark, and leave you to make the application.The application of a theory to a set of data can be challenging.
- This iPhone application can connect to most social networks.
- December 31 is the deadline for MBA applications.
- Their application for a deferral of the hearing was granted.