1. outward or visible aspect of a person or thing
2. the event of coming into sight
3. formal attendance (in court or at a hearing) of a party in an action
Similar word(s): appearing
4. a mental representation
- I tried to describe his appearance to the police
5. the act of appearing in public view
- the rookie made a brief appearance in the first period
- it was Bernhardt's last appearance in America
6. pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression
- they try to keep up appearances
Similar word(s): show
Sentences with appearance as a noun:
- His sudden appearance surprised me.
- There was a strange appearance in the sky.
- Some people say I'm shallow because I care so much about my appearance.
- A person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
- David Beckham's first appearance with the LA Galaxy at Giants Stadium against the New York Red Bulls last night drew a crowd of 66237.
- The patient had a small bowel obstruction and there was no appearance until after the obstruction resolved.