1. regard something as probable or likely
Similar word(s): expect
2. act in advance of; deal with ahead of time
3. realize beforehand
4. make a prediction about; tell in advance
5. be excited or anxious about
6. be a forerunner of or occur earlier than
- This composition anticipates Impressionism
Sentences with anticipate as a verb:
- To anticipate and prevent the duke's purpose. --R. Hall.He would probably have died by the hand of the executioner, if indeed the executioner had not been anticipated by the populace. -- Thomas Babington Macaulay.
- The advocate plans to anticipate a part of her argument.
- to anticipate the pleasures of a visit
- to anticipate the evils of life
- Please anticipate a journey of an hour from your house to the airport
- Little Johnny started to anticipate the arrival of Santa Claus a week before Christmas.