1. a statement (either spoken or written) that is made to reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation
- I waited several days for his answer
2. a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem
- the answers were in the back of the book
3. the speech act of replying to a question
4. the principal pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
5. a nonverbal reaction
- his answer to any problem was to get drunk
- their answer was to sue me
Sentences with answer as a noun:
- Her answer to his proposal was a slap in the face.
- There is no simple answer to corruption.
1. react verbally
- She didn't want to answer
- answer the question
- We answered that we would accept the invitation
2. respond to a signal
- answer the door
- answer the telephone
3. give the correct answer or solution to
- answer a question
- answer the riddle
4. understand the meaning of
- The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered
Similar word(s): resolve
5. give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument)
- The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution
6. be liable or accountable
- She must answer for her actions
7. be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
- A few words would answer
8. match or correspond
- The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave
9. be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of
- This may answer her needs
10. react to a stimulus or command
- The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch
Sentences with answer as a verb:
- He answered the question.
- to answer a charge or accusation
- She answered the door.
- Nobody answered when I knocked on the door.
- It answers the need.
- The man must answer to his employer for the money entrusted to his care.
- He has a lot to answer for.
- He answered my claim upon him.
- The servant answered the bell.