1. of or relating to the United States of America or its people or language or culture
- American citizens
- American English
- the American dream
2. of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and islands of the Americas
- the American hemisphere
- American flora and fauna
Sentences with american as an adjective:
- Thanksgiving is an American tradition.
- He married an American woman in order to get an American passport.
1. a native or inhabitant of the United States
2. the English language as used in the United States
3. a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
Sentences with american as a noun:
- Every American's origin is, historically speaking, by immigration, if scientific speculation that points to a human origin in Asia and a migration to the New World over frozen Bering Strait turns out to be correct.