1. first in order of importance
- the alpha male in the group of chimpanzees
- the alpha star in a constellation is the brightest or main star
Similar word(s): important
2. early testing stage of a software or hardware product
- alpha version
3. (person, object or action) exhibiting characteristics of the alpha male/female archetype.
Sentences with alpha as an adjective:
- I am the alpha male.
- When space travel becomes feasible, I plan to visit Alpha Centauri.
1. the 1st letter of the Greek alphabet
2. the beginning of a series or sequence
- the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end
3. (sciences) The name of the symbols Α and α used in science and mathematics, often interchangeable with the symbols when used as a prefix.
4. an alpha male.
Sentences with alpha as a noun:
- I will attempt to make an alpha particle ("α-particle") with the large hadron collider.