1. with a forward motion
- we drove along admiring the view
- the horse trotted along at a steady pace
- move along
Similar word(s): on
2. in accompaniment or as a companion
- his little sister came along to the movies
- I brought my camera along
- working along with his father
3. to a more advanced state
- the work is moving along
- well along in their research
- hurrying their education along
4. in addition (usually followed by `with')
- we sent them food and some clothing went along in the package
- along with the package came a bill
- consider the advantages along with the disadvantages
5. in line with a length or direction (often followed by `by' or `beside')
- pass the word along
- ran along beside me
- cottages along by the river
Sentences with along as an adverb:
- I am going to the store. Do you want to come along?
- Don't stop here. Just move along.
1. By the length of; in a line with the length of; lengthwise next to.
2. In a line with, with a progressive motion on; onward on; forward on.