1. possessing life
- the happiest person alive
- the nerve is alive
- doctors are working hard to keep him alive
2. (often followed by `with') full of life and spirit
- she was wonderfully alive for her age
- a face alive with mischief
Similar word(s): lively
3. having life or vigor or spirit
4. (followed by `to' or `of') aware of
- is alive to the moods of others
Similar word(s): sensitive
5. in operation
- keep hope alive
- the tradition was still alive
6. mentally perceptive and responsive
- alive to what is going on
7. capable of erupting
- the volcano is very much alive
Sentences with alive as an adjective:
- to keep the fire alive; to keep the affections alive.
- The Boyne, for a quarter of a mile, was alive with muskets and green boughs. -- Thomas Babington Macaulay.
- Tremblingly alive to nature's laws. -- William Falconer.
- Northumberland was the proudest man alive. --Edward Hyde Clarendon.