1. be able to spare or give up
- I can't afford to spend two hours with this person
2. be the cause or source of
- Our meeting afforded much interesting information
3. have the financial means to do something or buy something
- We can't afford to send our children to college
- Can you afford this car?
Definition categories: stative
4. afford access to
Definition categories: possession
Sentences with afford as a verb:
- I think we can afford the extra hour it will take. We can only afford to buy a small car at the moment.
- A affords his goods cheaper than B. A man can afford a sum yearly in charity.
- Grapes afford wine. Olives afford oil. The earth affords fruit. The sea affords an abundant supply of fish.
- A good life affords consolation in old age.