1. presently existing in fact and not merely potential or possible
- the predicted temperature and the actual temperature were markedly different
- actual and imagined conditions
2. taking place in reality; not pretended or imitated
- we saw the actual wedding on television
- filmed the actual beating
3. being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something
- her actual motive
4. existing in act or fact
- rocks and trees...the actual world
- actual heroism
- the actual things that produced the emotion you experienced
5. being or existing at the present moment
- the ship's actual position is 22 miles due south of Key West
Similar word(s): current
Sentences with actual as an adjective:
- the actual cost of goods;
- The actual government expenses dramatically exceed the budget.
- The actual situation of the world economy is worse than anyone expected a year ago
1. An actual, real one; notably:
- "Bravo Six Actual, Snakebite leader" (The person with the callsign "Snakebite leader" requests to speak to the commander of company Bravo and not the radio operator.)
2. (finance) Something actually received; real receipts, as distinct from estimated ones.
3. (military) A radio callsign modifier that specifies the commanding officer of the unit or asset denoted by the remainder of the callsign and not the officer's assistant or other designee.