1. associated with academia or an academy
- the academic curriculum
- academic gowns
2. hypothetical or theoretical and not expected to produce an immediate or practical result
- an academic discussion
- an academic question
Similar word(s): theoretical
3. marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects
Sentences with academic as an adjective:
- I have always had an academic interest in hacking.
- I'm more academic than athletic — I get lower marks in phys. ed. than in anything else.