1. a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance
- he loved her only in the abstract--not in person
Similar word(s): abstract
2. the act of withdrawing or removing something
3. the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances
4. an abstract painting
5. preoccupation with something to the exclusion of all else
Similar word(s): abstractedness
6. a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples
Sentences with abstraction as a noun:
- Abstraction is necessary for the classification of things into genera and species.
- to fight for mere abstractions.