1. the quality of being able to perform; a quality that permits or facilitates achievement or accomplishment
2. possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
Similar word(s): power
Sentences with ability as a noun:
- This phone has the ability to have its software upgraded wirelessly.
- This wood has the ability to fight off insects, fungus, and mold for a considerable time.
- They are persons of ability, who will go far in life.
- She has an uncanny ability to defuse conflict.